- This. RT @AdviceToWriters: Write the book you want to read. CHUCK PALAHNIUK #writing #writetip #
- smart guy. RT @fishmark: “If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses.” ~ Henry Ford #
- Whaaat. RT @TweetsofOld: One of the strangest freaks in human nature is that of a young man in Almond, N.Y., who married a hay press. NY1885 #
- RT @boudledidge: Revealed: The best and worst places to be a woman – World Politics – World – The Independent http://t.co/eqPH5aox #
- @TheYaoiReview BLU was part of TokyoPOP, soo…?? If TP died, it follows BLU did too, right? I mean, that's not a GIANT leap to make, is it? #
- @FirstWorldPains if you can't afford an abortion, good luck with a baby. #unfollowed #
- I have 4 items on the to-do list today, not including a doctor's appointment & a class. 3 of the 4 involve #writing no surprise there. #
- Trip to doctor is way more high-tech than I remember. #
- @Zekor who else? #
- RT @postsecret 2 things I'd tell my younger self: Cracking your knuckles wont lead to arthritis & be kinder to your back; sit less walk more #
- RT @AdviceToWriters: Writing is a socially acceptable form of getting naked in public. PAULO COELHO #writing #
- @WitchSchool My thinking is so quick that it jumbles up coming out of my mouth and I have to repeat myself anyway. #
- @Zekor @everyoneinthefreakinworld the world won't end if you hold off tying the knot for three or four years. or, you know, forever… >_> #
- Having no power @ night has a bonus of forcing me to sleep when I should, except the stuff that's being worked on is right under my window. #
- I wish I remembered this more RT @TWLOHA: “Truth is like heat or light; its vibrations are endless, & are endlessly felt.” – Margaret Deland #
- Without tea, there is nothing. #
- "Apple Juice Cocktail with Splenda" is no where near as good as apple juice. Why in seven hells do people drink this stuff? #
- something is wrong. #
- Truth. RT @TWLOHA: “The question is not what you look at, but what you see.” — Henry David Thoreau #
- Whaaaaaaat. As of I didn't have enough to do already. RT @poetrynews: 425 Free Online Courses http://t.co/QCfhkmmP #
- I've lived on both coasts; this is reasonably accurate. RT @Oatmeal: Wearing a suit to work on east VS west coasts http://t.co/5S2jCFds #
- I even have this problem in languages other than English. RT @AdviceToWriters: I can't stand a sentence until it sounds right. JOHN McPHEE #
- omg i<3u RT @estherium i'm sacrificing "me" time to stay at work and clear off my desk… by flipping my desk over and setting it on fire. #
- @xxxchurch not impressed by the guy who freaked out over accidentally lusting over another guy. OH NOES. -_- #
- @Mousapelli you are quite welcome! don't know if you even like it haha but if not, just pass it along ^_^ #
- @Mousapelli Had directions for a baby blanket (even tho I have no baby) & I was going to work up to an adult-size. That worked out, obvs. #
- @Zekor I doubt I would use the elevator for only one floor even in heels unless I could tell my feet were bleeding & then fuck all if I care #
- tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tock #
- I think I remember that, actually. >_> RT @mental_floss: The first episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer aired 15 years ago today. #
- Have you seen this, @Zekor? RT @tokyohive: Poster for “Rurouni Kenshin” live-action movie revealed http://t.co/zZGX6ZAM #
- brb crying RT @TWLOHA: "Protecting people from the truth is another way of shutting them out. —Blaize Clement #
- RT @maymaym: Being closeted puts your partners in closet under threat of losing the #relationship NOT a safe space.SA http://t.co/CwnIT4p6 #
- @maymaym I agree, but I've never had to balance my safety and security. how to go about the back and forth? #
- This exactly. RT @maymaym: RT @wanderingpirate Audience talks of the #illegibility of #polyamory it gets read as swinging/cheating/etc. #
- pretty sure I hate people. #
- Just the single GIRL? >_> RT @xxxchurch: Question of the Week: What Would You Tell a Single Girl About Married Sex? http://t.co/PNGw7d3U #
- @maymaym well, yeah. I suppose I have, but I guess I meant in drastic/traumatic (life or death type) situations. #
- @xxxchurch you sound like Mao, except that doing what one likes isn't necessarily or even ordinarily a false freedom. #
I. AM. SO. EXCITED.
Seriously. I am so excited about this. I thought it called for a review of a great Yaoi Prose story, Maelstrom by Yamila Abraham with illustrations by Himitsu Studio. I’ve got the first four (out of eight) chapters sitting here waiting to be written up, so here we go!
First things first, as usual: Maelstrom is explicit yaoi. If you don’t know what that means, find out before you continue. (Who knows, you might like it!) It’s generally not-safe-for-work adult material… but that’s never stopped me from reading the like at work, so if you have an awesome workplace and/or an office to yourself, it might not matter. ^_^
All right, so: a quick summary of the first four chapters. Demerti steps off the ship onto Secren—a Wild West-esque mining planet devoid of women—and immediately experiences a disconcerting-yet-heated attraction to a man standing on the platform. Demetri’s straight, but—as his computer translator, Brainbox, tells him—Earthlings on Secren are struck with Lightning just as often as natives are. Determined to remain a Celibate, Demetri ignores the man, Malstrum, and heads deeper into the planet to set up his own mining operation. Complications arise (of course), and Demetri finds himself fighting for his own life (mostly unsuccessfully) until Malstrum, once (but no longer) the most successful mine boss on the planet, shows up to save him. Their attraction deepens until Demetri can no longer deny his feelings and he submits to Malstrum. All this while holding down a mining operation, finding miners to work with them, divvying up scarce rations, and warning off roadside bandits.
A few lines from the fourth chapter are my favorite so far. After Demetri submits to Malstrum, he expresses his disgust at other men who can “stick with a fucking rapist” and Malstrum points out that Secren isn’t as nice as Earth. Demetri says that if rape is what works on Secren, then fine, but when someone rapes an Earthling, it can destroy him (or her). Malstrum gently corrects him by saying,
Everyone wants to be the alpha. It’s a joke in the beginning. Eventually they want to mate and fight each other to decide. It’s kind of agreed on, you know? If I beat you, you’re getting fucked and I’m the alpha. If you beat me, I’m going to have to take it…
No one wants to beat their lover half to death. Lightning ends up being a curse. You know that’s what you’re headed for, and it kills you. When you see those few guys who say, ‘I’ll take your brand. I’ll be the beta,’ it’s so beautiful it makes you cry. Everyone celebrates. The beta becomes the hero. Everyone’s jealous of the alpha. And they have the best marriages. No strife between them. No resentment.
I read that and thought to myself, “Yes! Thank you! Exactly!” and I was so angry that chapter 4 ended shortly thereafter because it meant writing up this review before I could continue reading the story. Gah. (Haha; is it bad that even when I’m reading porn, I still want a good plot? Is it obvious by now?) And yes, there is some heated loving going on between Malstrum and Demetri, so explicit yaoi lovers have no fear: the hot guy/guy sex is definitely there. (Woo, I made a rhyme!)
In any case, I highly recommend this story. It’s one of Abraham’s better ones, in my opinion, and completely worth the (inexpensive) cost. You can even read free previews of chapters 1, 3, and 4 before you buy so you know you’re getting quality.
Maelstrom is available on Amazon Kindle; you can get a Kindle application/program free for your computer even if you don’t own any ereader or iPad-type device. The first chapter is roughly 25 pages for just $1.49; chapter 2 is 29 pages for $2.99; chapter 3 is also 29 pages for $2.99; and the fourth chapter is 28 pages for $2.99.
Hopefully I’ll be able to review the second half of Maelstrom soon. I haven’t actually read chapters 5-8 yet, so I’m looking forward to finding out what happens with Demetri and Malstrum. (Also, more sex!)